It’s a well-known fact that landfills are filling up and that it’s getting harder and harder to establish new sites. Along with that, solid waste management keeps getting more and more expensive and is an ongoing ecological hazard. As a result, absolutely no landfill is the ultimate goal of a sustainable economy as well as of a sustainable environment. Not that long ago this was considered an impractical dream; it’s now a realistic and economical target.
New regulations, such as California’s AB341, make zero landfill manufacturing and distribution a requirement. The good news is that with proper implementation your company can actually save money.
Link International has been a one-stop full-service waste recovery leader for over 10 years. With facilities and offices throughout the United States we’re dedicated to cost-effective programs achieving zero landfill byproduct processing. We achieve major environmental, health, and economic benefits for our clients and America’s citizens.
How It’s Accomplished “How it Works”
There are numerous ways of dealing with waste byproducts, with varying degrees of cost and negative impact. Here is a ranking often used to guide decision making.
- Source reduction – the best solution is usually to avoid generating waste materials in the first place
- Reuse and re-purposing – many materials have a valuable “second life”
- Composting – organic materials can often be processed into fertilizers and soil amendments
- Recycling – many plastics and metals can be recycled back into raw materials with savings in resources and energy
- Waste to energy – burning and anaerobic digestion can create energy, with little or no toxic emissions
- Incineration – greatly reduces volume, but produces no useful outputs
- Landfill – disposes of wastes with no benefits and potential environmental harm
A zero landfill program usually starts with the low hanging fruit then incrementally adds materials until all waste is processed into useful byproducts. The following is a typical sequence.
- scrap pallets
- mixed hard plastics
- metal scrap
- corrugated cardboard and office paper
- scrap plastic film
- waste organics
- industrial solids and filter cakes
- used absorbents
- electronic and universal waste
- solid wastes for energy production
Link International’s Zero Waste to Landfill Programs
Our services provide manufacturers and distributors with cost-effective waste reduction strategies, with the ultimate goal of zero waste going into landfills. Our experience includes integrating our processes with your existing programs and vendors, providing unbiased management of existing as well as new vendors and services. We document the full byproduct life cycle and our audits track results and assure that you reach and maintain 100% landfill diversion.
Our Clients Benefit
Link International stands ready to provide single-source management of all of your recycling and waste handling needs, including hazardous materials. That’s a big workload taken off your team, and we assure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations and requirements. Our clients have achieved cost savings as high as 40% from controlling plant, transportation, and disposal costs and increased recycling rebates. Just as importantly, you will know you’re doing your part in providing a healthy and sustainable future for businesses and families.